Visitors to historic downtown Union City are invited to follow the railroad heritage trail to see some of the areas most historically and architecturally significant structures. This trail also highlights the role that train travel played on the development of downtown Union City.
The walking tour starts at the historic Railroad Depot which was built in 1922. This building has been completely renovated and is now the offices of the Obion County Chamber of Commerce, Joint Economic Developement, and the Industrial Development Corporation. Directly across the street is Kiwanis Park once known as Railroad Park. While touring the park, visitors should take notice of the Confederate Memorial and the Centennial Fountain. The route will then take you past the 1930 Greyhound bus station and to the Capitol Theatre. The theatre which first opened in 1927 is now home to the Masquerade Theatre of Union City. The United States Post Office, the Obion County Courthouse, and the Davy Crockett Hotel finish up the tour.
Union City is the home of the Masquerade Theatre, headquartered in the former Capital Theater on South First Street. It is known for producing theatrical productions for 16 years including musicals, comedies, dramas, children’s plays, workshops, and concerts. Masquerade Theatre has already presented many successful and sold out productions including Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and Annie (musical). This theatre is a historic landmark and has been standing since the early 1900s.
The 1869 memorial to unknown Confederate dead is one of the oldest Civil War monuments in Tennessee and is a rare example of Reconstruction-era memorialization. The monument’s location within a cemetery reflects the mourning element common to the first Civil War monuments in the South. After the end of the war, local women raised funds to disinter the bodies of Confederate soldiers from throughout the county and rebury them here. Some of the men had died at nearby Camp Brown, a training camp, while others had belonged to the 7th Tennessee Cavalry. On October 21, 1869, the Union City brass band led a procession here for the dedication ceremony. Union City is also the home of the first monument ever dedicated to an “Unknown Soldier” as well as the first monument to a Confederate soldier in the South. It was erected in 1869. Only two graves in the cemetery surrounding the monument are occupied by the remains of known persons. The rest of the graves are the remains of unknown soldiers gathered from around the county and reburied in the Confederate cemetery.